Recipe by Carol in Oz
A wonderful, tasty comfort food from my childhood, made with ground beef and creamy mashed potatoes and a cheese topping. Simple and easy to prepare with a minimum of ingredients and cost. Makes excellent leftovers!
- 500 g ground beef
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1.5 (29 g) packets gravy mix
- 3 -4 cups mashed potatoes
- 3 slices processed cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften onion and garlic with oil in frying pan.
- Add ground beef and salt and pepper to taste.
- When browned, prepare gravy mix according to package instructions using slightly less water than called for.
- Add gravy to cooked ground beef making a thick mixture that will hold together yet is moist.
- Place mixture in a greased rectangular baking dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes, spread evenly over meat mixture, ensuring you seal to the edges of the baking dish or the gravy tends to bubble out.
- Cut cheese slices in half on the diagonal and arrange over potato layer.
- Sprinkle with paprika and bake in hot (375C) oven til layers are heated through and cheese is golden and bubbling.