Recipe by ebbtide
Have tried many, but this one satisfies every time. Economical and easy! If one wants to really get creative, you can use real potatoes, but the instant work fine for me.
Top Review by Love Button & Jelly Bean
This was a great dish. Absolutely loved it. So much, we have added this to one of the few dishes we are making for a friend flying in to visit this week. We did change a few things to our liking. We used our favorite recipe of Recipe #51084. Used corn and broccoli for the mixed vegetables. Can't wait to make it again. Thanks!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups cooked mixed vegetables, drained
- 6 cups cooked instant mashed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown the beef, onions and garlic, then add the thyme, sage, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add the flour, mixing well and continue cooking 1 or 2 minutes.
- Slowly add broth and wine, mixing well. Reduce heat and simmer for 7-8 minutes. Add mixed veggies and remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Prepare your instant potatoes per your instructions on box, then add the beaten egg and mix well.
- Pour potatoes on top of the beef mixture and smooth evenly.
- Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over the potatoes.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool for just a minute, serve and ENJOY.