Recipe by Sharlene~W
Allspice version. All meat and potatoes!
Top Review by Bev
I've loved Shepherd's Pie since I was a little girl, and have been looking for a good recipe for it almost as long. I think my search has ended. This was delicious! I did cut the allspice down to 1/4 tsp and added 3 tbsp flour to the meat (there was no amount listed for the flour addition). My husband was pleased with he results and so was I!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boiling potatoes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut potatoes into chunks.
- Put saucepan with salted water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes; drain.
- Cook onions in oil in frying pan over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Crumble in beef and cook until no longer pink; drain off excess fat.
- Stir flour into meat and then add stock slowly.
- Stir in salt, pepper, allspice, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mash potatoes with salt and pepper and the 1 tablespoon of the butter and milk.
- (The potatoes will be quite dense).
- Spread over meat.
- Brush top with remaining butter.
- Bake until top is golden, 25 to 30 minutes.