Recipe by Rita~
I have other shepherd's pie recipes but the lamb in this one makes it Australian. You can add a layer of 2 cups frozen peas, carrots or corn over the meat mixture.
Top Review by Kaarin
This was great! My dh, who doesn't really like lamb, liked this. I did add some sliced, cooked carrots (to make it a one dish meal) so doubled the broth, flour, mustard, worcestershire to make enough extra sauce. I will definitely make again, whenever I can get my hands on some lamb! Thanks!
- 1 ounce butter
- plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 lbs lean ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup milk, hot
- 1 ounce butter, 2 tablespoons
- 4 -6 large potatoes, cooked and mashed
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease an 8-cup capacity casserole dish. Preheat oven to 210°C (425°F).
- Melt butter in a large pan, add onions and cook until golden brown add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add flour and mustard to the pan and stir for 1 minute, gradually add the stock and stir constantly until smooth. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the meat, Worcestershire sauce and oregano to the pan and stir. Season to taste, remove from heat and spoon into the casserole dish.
- To make potato topping, combine all remaining ingredients, mix until smooth and creamy. Spread the mixture evenly over the meat and rough up the surface with a fork. Spray lightly with olive oil spray or dot with additional butter. Bake for 45 minutes.