Prep 2 hrs
Cook 57 mins
Easy to make.
Make and share this Shepherd's Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (2 packages if using a 12-inch Dutch oven)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 9 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Combine water, butter, sugar and salt.
- Stir until butter melts; let cool to warm.
- Stir in yeast, cover and set in a warm place until bubbly.
- Add 5 cups of flour and beat with a wooden spoon to form a thick batter.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour (about 3 1/2 cups) to form a stiff dough.
- Knead until smooth, about 10 minutes, add flour as needed.
- Place dough in Dutch oven (well greased) and cover.
- Set in a warm place to rise until doubled.
- Punch down and knead on a floured board.
- Return to Dutch oven and let rise until dough pushes up on the lid about 1/2 inch.
- Bake covered with lid, in a 375°F oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove lid and bake for 30-35 minutes or until loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
WOW! Its perfect , made it ,loved it, ate it all!
Delicious! My grandmother used to make Shepherd's Bread for every family dinner. Although I don't know if this is the same recipe as hers, it tastes exactly the same. Everyone loves it every time I make it! Just be prepared, it makes a giant round loaf (~6 pounds) and I've found that if you freeze part of it, the only way the bread tastes right after thawing is to toast it. I will often take this to picnics and family gatherings along with some butter and a bread knife--everyone always asks for the recipe. You won't be disappointed! One word from experience, be certain you also oil the inside of the lid of the Dutch Oven, otherwise the bread will stick to the lid while baking.
Easy to make. The crust is very thin. My kids love it!