- 3 cups hot water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (2 packages if using a 12-inch Dutch oven)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 9 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water, butter, sugar and salt.
- Stir until butter melts; let cool to warm.
- Stir in yeast, cover and set in a warm place until bubbly.
- Add 5 cups of flour and beat with a wooden spoon to form a thick batter.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour (about 3 1/2 cups) to form a stiff dough.
- Knead until smooth, about 10 minutes, add flour as needed.
- Place dough in Dutch oven (well greased) and cover.
- Set in a warm place to rise until doubled.
- Punch down and knead on a floured board.
- Return to Dutch oven and let rise until dough pushes up on the lid about 1/2 inch.
- Bake covered with lid, in a 375°F oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove lid and bake for 30-35 minutes or until loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.