Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
A nice variation on a classic British recipe. Serve with steamed green vegetables.
Make and share this Shepherd’s Pie Jackets recipe from Food.com.
- Microwave the potatoes on high for about 20 minutes or bake in the oven for an hour on 350°F.
- Meanwhile, cook the mince and the onion together in a frying pan for approx 10 minutes until the onions are golden (you don’t need oil or butter, there should be enough fat from the beef).
- Add the Worcestershire, beef stock, tomato paste.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut in half, scoop out flesh into a bowl, leaving a thin layer.
- To the flesh in the bowl you salt, pepper, nutmeg, milk and butter, mash it together.
- Preheat grill/broiler.
- Put the potato skins in a shallow roasting tin, spoon in the meat mixture, then the potato mash and top with cheese.
- Grill until the cheese has melted and the filling is hot.
This was a little different. I've only had Shepherd's Pie once before and I really liked the corn in the other recipe. But we did enjoy this. Made in memory of dear Pets
Good comfort food thanks Pets'. We added in mixed herbs and cooked this in water instead of stock, then finished it with brown gravy powder to thicken.I wish this had cooked up browner, but we are travelling and have to make do with the cooking equipment we have-doesn't affect the flavour LOL. I think cooking this longer than the 15 minutes in step 4 would make for a 5 star dish too.
This was quite good, though my dh said that he prefers "real" shepherd's pie. Next time, I'll just mix the meat, cheese, and potatoes together before spooning into the potatoes.