Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Shepherd's pie homemade.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 4 large potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 lb carrot (carrot chips work better)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1 (4 ounce) package brown gravy mix
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Make mashed potatoes from scratch.
- Stir in worcestershire sauce and half the chopped onion with the ground beef as you brown it on medium heat (5/10).
- As the ground beef is browning, heat a pot of salted water to a boil, and boil the carrots about 15 minutes (until soft).
- If using instant mashed potatoes, start them now, and once they are complete, mix in half of the cheese and onion with them.
- Once the ground beef is browned, drain off the excess grease, then mix in the water, brown gravy mix, ketchup, and flour.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- While the ground beef mixture is simmering, use a fork to mash the carrots.
- Once all the ingredients are complete, spread the ground beef mixture in the bottom of the aluminum foil lined casserole dish, then top with a layer of the carrots, followed by the mashed potatoes, and then the remaining cheese.
- Put into the oven uncovered for 20 minutes.