Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had left over pot roast (made with a chuck roast), baby carrots and potatoes. I wanted to do something with it other than a sandwhich... so this Shepard's Pie was my fix. I also didn't have enough gravy for the filling so I sub'd a can of cream of celery. We aren't big peas fans so we went with iron rich Spinach instead. You don't have to do much seasoning and the whole dish is ready in about 30 minutes!
- 8 ounces pot roast (shredded)
- 1 cup baby carrots (rough chop)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup (or use left over gravy)
- 1⁄2 cup milk (omit if using gravy)
- 10 ounces frozen leaf spinach (thawed)
- 2 garlic cloves (rough chop)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (evoo)
Mashed potato topping
- 2 -3 cups potatoes, cooked (yukon gold with skins)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Pre-heat oven 350*.
- Filling: Over medium heat put extra-virgin olive oil and garlic in sauté pan, warm til garlic is soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, spinach and post roast until warmed through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add Soup and Milk and heat until bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- Move mixture to pie/baking dish.
- Topping: Microwave leftover potatoes for 5-7 minutes on high.
- Add in butter and milk and mash with potato masher/ fork.
- Add more milk/ butter until you reach desired consistency for mashed potatoes.
- Season with Onion Power, S&P to taste.
- Spread mashed potatoes over filling in pie/baking dish.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes and enjoy! We had ours with a nice valpolicella.