Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a new recipe I've come up with using what I like from several other recipes. I serve 12 routinely and usually 3-4 extra, especially with a salad. I have this when I have leftover mashed potatoes. You can also use high quality dried mashed or frozen bags. I use french cut or small frozen green beans. Use whatever vegies your family likes.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 lb frozen green beans (Use more or less as you prefer.)
- 5 lbs mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a dutch oven,lightly brown hamburger until grease is released. Drain.
- Return it to pot.
- Add onion and garlic and saute with hamburger until onions soften.
- Add spices, tomato sauce, paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer for 15- 20 minutes.
- Pour into large lasagna pan.
- Sprinkle with frozen green beans.
- cover with mashed potatoes that have been thinned with milk enough to spread easily.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes at 350.
- If you like, turn on broiler for 5 minutes until cheese gets brown and crunchy.
- (Watch closely -- some of my kids don't like this.).
This is just how my mom makes it! I don't think she uses tomato paste though, it was a little too tomatoy for me. Next time I will just use tomato sauce.