1 hr 25 mins
This is a new recipe I've come up with using what I like from several other recipes. I serve 12 routinely and usually 3-4 extra, especially with a salad. I have this when I have leftover mashed potatoes. You can also use high quality dried mashed or frozen bags. I use french cut or small frozen green beans. Use whatever vegies your family likes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 lb frozen green beans (Use more or less as you prefer.)
- 5 lbs mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1In a dutch oven,lightly brown hamburger until grease is released. Drain.
- 2Return it to pot.
- 3Add onion and garlic and saute with hamburger until onions soften.
- 4Add spices, tomato sauce, paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce.
- 5Simmer for 15- 20 minutes.
- 6Pour into large lasagna pan.
- 7Sprinkle with frozen green beans.
- 8cover with mashed potatoes that have been thinned with milk enough to spread easily.
- 9Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- 10Bake 45 minutes at 350.
- 11If you like, turn on broiler for 5 minutes until cheese gets brown and crunchy.
- 12(Watch closely -- some of my kids don't like this.).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shepherd Pie for a Crowd
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 501.4
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 90.7 mg
- Sodium 1440.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 28.9 g