1/3 Photos of Shelton Sausage Gravy
This recipe has been in my family for at least two generations, possibly more, as my grandmother cannot remember which of my family members gave it to her! As she has been diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and is advancing in its progression quickly, she can't make it anymore, but my mother and I carry on the tradition for her! This recipe is a testament to her memory. She is still with us as of this posting, but in the future, I'll be able to remember her every time I make it. Emotional attachments aside, it's the best sausage gravy I've ever eaten, hands down, and tends to contain more sausage than even the best restaurants can fit into their versions! It isn't healthy - at all - but you'll at least die happy! Of course it's recommended that you bake your own biscuits from scratch, but failing that, frozen biscuits will work just as well. (You can probably use the refrigerated tube kind too but I always use frozen, they're just better somehow in my opinion!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large skillet, cook the sausage, but do not brown or crisp. When using pork, this distinction is very clear when you see it in the pan, so don't worry about missing the mark.
- 2Add the onion and cook until transparent.
- 3Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan.
- 4Add the flour and stir it in well, then cook on medium heat for 6-7 minutes.
- 5Add the milk all at once and add seasonings.
- 6Cook until thickened. This takes awhile because of the amount of liquid - for me it usually takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes. Keep an eye on it and your patience will be rewarded.
- 7Place 3 biscuit halves on each plate and top with gravy. Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shelton Sausage Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 944.9
- Calories from Fat 445
- Total Fat 49.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 83.4 mg
- Sodium 1509.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 30.1 g