Recipe by Ms B.
I adopted this recipe after the cute and talented Shelly left the site. After loading up with her Carb Fixes (Shelly's Cheap, Easy and Delicious Carb Fix and Shelly's More Expensive and Elaborate Carb Fix), a little low carb fix such as this might just be the ticket. Shelly's original comments: "I think this casserole is weird because it has no starchy item -- no potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. This does, however, make it perfect for Atkins, South Beach, etc. I hope the way I divided the ingredients into 3 sections makes sense."
Top Review by riffraff
Let me begin by saying that this is a little bland for this garlic eater. So I added a ton. It made a great South Beach Diet meal. I used low fat, part skim cottage cheese. I also added about 1/4 cup of grated parmesan to the top. You instructions are easy to follow and the result is good. We have decided to cook it in a 8 X * pan next time so that the layers will be thicker. Thanks!!
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste ( knock yourself out)
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 3 lbs yellow squash, sliced (I prefer yellow) or 3 lbs zucchini (I prefer yellow)
- 1 green pepper, chopped fine
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Place first set of ingredients (cooked and drained ground beef, salt, pepper and garlic) in bottom of 9 x 13 pan.
- Cook sliced yellow squash in boiling water until tender.
- Drain well.
- Mash cooked squash together with green pepper, onion and butter/margarine.
- Spread squash over meat layer and sprinkle with grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- For third set of ingredients: beat eggs, fold in cottage cheese and parsley.
- Spoon over squash/cheese layer.
- Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 to 45 minutes.