Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a HUGE batch of lasagne. I have experimented over the years with different methods and this one is the best I have found. It's easy and fairly simple and I love the combination of the tastes of Ricotta and Cottage cheese. I just don't like the lumps in the Cottage Cheese. Using dry noodles also speeds things up. I get RAVE reviews every time I make it.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 -2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 2 -3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 2 (26 ounce) jarscommercial spaghetti sauce (any brand)
- 1 (8 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) carton cottage cheese
- 3 (8 -10 2/3 ounce) packagesshredded mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese or romano cheese
- 1 (1 lb) package lasagna noodle
- fresh Baby Spinach (optional)
- Brown ground beef, stirring till no large lumps remain.
- Push meat to sides of pan and let water cook away until water has evaporated.
- While there is still water in the pan, pour in dried onion flakes.
- When water is gone and only grease remains, stir and then drain the meat through a colander.
- Add remaining spices and stir.
- Then add the spaghetti sauce and let simmer.
- While sauce is simmering, combine Cottage Cheese and Ricotta Cheese in mixing bowl.
- Beat together with a mixer until smooth.
- (At this point you can put the baby spinach in a food processor and chop finely and add to cheese mixture, if desired) Once sauce has simmered 15 to 20 minutes, gather cheese mixture, sauce, noodles and Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Pour a layer of sauce into 13 x 9 inch baking pan or casserole dish.
- Using DRY noodles, spread the Cottage and Ricotta cheese mixture on each noodle and place in pan side by side.
- Then pour a layer of sauce over the cheese.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan to cover and then add a thick layer of shredded mozzarella.
- Repeat until there are 3 layers of each.
- (Note: When using dry noodles sauce should be a bit more thin than if using cooked noodles. The dry noodles will absorb the liquid and cook along with the rest) Cook in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 40- 45 minutes.
- Keep covered loosely with aluminum foil for the first 30- 35 minutes so cheese doesn't brown too much.
- Once it has baked, remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes to make cutting easier.
My husband found this recipe here and made it for dinner last night. I HATE lasagna but this recipe has changed my mind!!!