Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 lb white mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, slightly smashed
- 4 red ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves only, finely minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, very finely minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb medium pasta shell
- grated parmesan cheese
- Trim stems of mushrooms and cut into vertical slices; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet; add in onion and garlic; cook slowly over low heat for about 10 minutes, or until onion wilts and softens.
- Add in mushrooms and cook over high heat until they are tender and the liquid they throw off nearly completely evaporates.
- Add in tomatoes and rosemary; cook until tomatoes begin to break down and release their juices, about 5 minutes.
- Add in anchovy fillets and pepper to taste, mixing well.
- Cook just until anchovies melt into the sauce.
- Cook pasta shells in a large amount of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Drain shells in a colander; transfer pasta and the hot mushrooms sauce to a large, shallow bowl.
- Toss to mix well; serve immediately, passing parmesan at the table.