Recipe by Wildflour
Threw this all together last night and BOY was it good! I even remembered to write everything down as I went along, so now I can share it with all of you! Enjoy!
Top Review by Enjolinfam
This was really nice! I made it with vegi-burger, but followed the rest as written. My kids really liked it, although it was a little on the spicy side for them. I will most likely make again, but will use less taco seasoning next time.
- 1 1⁄3 lbs ground beef
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- chili powder
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄3 cup picante sauce
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candel monte stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) boxvelveeta macaroni shells and cheese
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 3 cups sargento four-cheese Mexican blend cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- additional shredded cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- black olives (chopped or sliced)
- chopped tomato
- jalapeno, rings
Directions See How It's Made
- In deep frying pan, cook beef (lightly seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin), and onion til done. Drain grease.
- Stir in taco seasoning, picante sauce, water and stewed tomatoes. Break up tomatoes.
- Simmer at least 10 minutes til water has evaporated and sauce is thickened. Meanwhile, in saucepan; make shells and cheese according to package directions, using lowest time alotted for cooking of shells.
- Fold shells and cheese mixture into beef mixture.
- Pour into greased casserole dish.
- I used a 1 ½ quart glass baking dish just slightly smaller than my 13x9 one.
- Top evenly with shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle cheese with paprika. Sprinkle lightly with oregano using about 1/2 teaspoons.
- Bake in 350º oven, uncovered for 20 minutes, or til hot .
- Top each serving with shredded lettuce, more shredded cheese, sour cream, and sprinkle with black olives, chopped tomato and jalapeno rings if desired.