Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice rich side or even a main dish. This goes great with a grilled steak for a hearty dinner. And if you just want a meat free dinner, this is it - very hearty. A nice salad with this and it is plenty for dinner. I also love to serve this with fresh slices of heirloom tomatoes.
- 8 ounces small shell pasta (penne would be a nice substitute)
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, chopped very very fine
- 1 ounce dried mushroom, then thin sliced (I used porcini)
- 1 cup cremini mushroom, thin sliced
- 1 cup shallot, diced fine
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (extra to garnish)
- 1 cup boiling water to rehydrate the dried mushroom
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dried Mushrooms -- Rehydrate the mushrooms by placing the mushrooms in a small bowl and pouring the boiling water over the mushroom and cover. Let set 10-15 minutes until soft and rehydrated.
- Mushrooms -- In a medium saute pan, add the olive oil and butter and heat to medium heat. Then add the garlic, shallots, button mushrooms and cremini mushrooms. Continue to saute on medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the mushrooms start to get tender and golden brown.
- Pasta -- As the mushrooms cook, cook the pasta according to directions. Once done, drain and set to the side and keep warm by putting back in the pot and putting the lid on.
- Back to the Mushrooms -- Add to the sauteed mushrooms, the dehydrated mushrooms, the broth from the mushrooms (I like to strain it first, just to make sure it is clear), the beef broth, corn starch (which I mix with the sherry to make a slurry which will thicken the sauce), salt, pepper, and dried herbs and cook uncovered on medium heat. The slurry of the cornstarch and sherry will thicken the sauce slightly. Let the liquids reduce slightly for 3-4 minutes.
- Combine -- Toss the mushroom sauce into the pasta. Add the parsley and parmesan and toss.
- Serve -- Just plate, garnish with fresh parmesan if you want and ENJOY!