Top Review by drew_wsu
I may have not prepared this to a T, but I didn't enjoy it as much as other dishes. The pesto was barely noticable and I even added more. I used low fat mozzarella which made the cheese rubbery, so if you use low fat, I would recommend mixing all the ingredients together instead of layering. Also, this should serve much more than 4. You may want to add some tomato sauce to make the dish a little less dry.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 lb pasta shells or 3⁄4 lb fusilli or 3⁄4 lb other shaped pasta, that holds sauce
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes (i use pomi parmalat for this recipe)
- 1⁄2 cup store bought pesto sauce
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oven to 400.
- oil a 13x9 baking dish.
- heat oil in a pan over med- high heat.
- cook onion until it starts to soften.
- add beef and cook until it is no longer pink.
- drain off any excess fat.
- add tomato and salt and bring to a simmer.
- cook about 10 minutes, until most of the tomato liquid evaporates.
- remove from heat and stir in the pesto.
- while all this is going on, you should be cooking your pasta in boiling, salted water.
- drain pasta and toss with the sauce.
- put 1/2 of the pasta in baking dish.
- top with 1/2 the mozzarella and 2 tbsp of the parmesan.
- layer the remaining pasta on top, topping it with the remaining cheeses.
- bake until bubbling.