Recipe by TOOLBELT DIVA
My own variation of a popular one-pot meal. The addition of pepper flakes adds a bit of zip to an otherwise fairly bland dish. Serve with chunks of baguette, Italian bread or Pita. Of course, plenty of Chardonnay to wash down the rice.
Top Review by Manami
Love it, love it, love it! Toolie, this dish was awesome! Very similar to the way they make it here at the home and here in Miami, but yours is better! The one thing I changed was instead of green peppers only, I used yellow & orange with the green peppers, and saved the red for the garnish. However, we used Arborio rice instead, it keeps it mushy and creamy. Lovely and wonderful recipe! Also, you use saffron and many times here at the home & in Miami, they use Bijol(a combination of the achiote seeds and other things)and it doesn't have the saffron taste! We served it with ripe plantains(Platanos Maduros), freshly made crusty bread but the Chardonay was missing! Thanks for posting Toolie, we served this about 4 weeks ago at a Dr's luncheon and it was a great hit! Diane :=)
- 4 lobster tails
- 8 stone crab claws
- 12 large shrimp
- 8 large clams, washed and scrubbed
- 8 large mussels, washed and scrubbed
- 2 green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 -5 plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, rinsed several times until the water runs clear
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups seafood stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen green peas
- roasted red pepper, strips (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200C).
- Steam clams, mussels and shrimp in boiling salted water for 3 minutes; remove from water and set aside.
- Discard any unopened clams or mussels.
- Baste Lobster tails with butter.
- Wrap Lobster tails and Crab Claws in aluminum foil and bake 15 minutes in preheated oven.
- In a large paella pan, or heavy skillet, saute green peppers, onions, tomatoes and garlic until tender.
- Blend in saffron,salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add rice and stir fry for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Pour in broth and wine; simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add peas.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir once or twice to be sure liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Place shrimp, lobster, stone crab, clams and mussels on top.
- Cover and warm an additional 10 minutes.
- Transfer to large serving platter or bowl.
- Garnish with roasted red peppers.