Recipe by KCShell
I created this recipe because I am allergic to onions. My kids have grown to love this as it is not overly spicy. I know that chili is very subjective, so you may need to add onions or chili's - that is okay, I guess I expect you to change it as you see necessary!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mc cormick broiled steak seasoning (find in your grocer's spice aisle)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 6 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 teaspoons beef base, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (8 ounce) jar tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes, chopped, use liquid too
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, with liquid
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 cups water, adjust as needed, see below
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- water, to make a smooth paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef with broiled steak seasoning, Worcestershire, garlic, mushrooms and celery.
- While meat and vegetables are browning, place tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, water and spices in 5 quart stock pot.
- When meat mixture is browned and vegetables are sautéed, drain hamburger mixture well.
- Place hamburger mixture in pot with tomatoes, beans and spices.
- Stir well.
- The liquid part of the soup should be about 1 inch above the ingredients, so add water accordingly.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to simmer.
- Simmer 3-4 hours.
- 15 minutes before serving, thicken soup with flour and water paste.
- I add several hot tablespoons of soup to the flour mixture so it is all the same temperature and very smooth, then pour into hot soup.
- Bring soup to a boil and let it thicken.
- Simmer an additional 3-5 minutes.
- I like to put corn chips in the bottom of my bowl and then add soup, garnish with cheese and sour cream and black olives.