Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've played around with this recipe for awhile and this version has become the family favorite. It's also great for potlucks and entertaining. This is a one pan size but you can easily use the whole box of shells and double the rest of the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, ground
- 20 -24 large pasta shells, about half of a box
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, finely diced or grated
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (9 ounce) package spinach
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Boil pasta water.
- Sweat diced onions and garlic in butter until soft, add sausage and italian seasoning and brown.
- Add shells to boiling water, cook until slightly under al dente, rinse in cold water.
- Defrost spinach in microwave and drain.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In large bowl combine spinach, ricotta, parmesean cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella and cooked sausage.
- Stuff mixture into shells, I try to get as much in as I can, and place in baking dish lined with foil with a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom.
- Cover shells with remaining marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese, additional parmesean cheese is yummy as well.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.