Recipe by MomMakesDinner
I've played around with this recipe for awhile and this version has become the family favorite. It's also great for potlucks and entertaining. This is a one pan size but you can easily use the whole box of shells and double the rest of the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, ground
- 20 -24 large pasta shells, about half of a box
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, finely diced or grated
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (9 ounce) package spinach
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil pasta water.
- Sweat diced onions and garlic in butter until soft, add sausage and italian seasoning and brown.
- Add shells to boiling water, cook until slightly under al dente, rinse in cold water.
- Defrost spinach in microwave and drain.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In large bowl combine spinach, ricotta, parmesean cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella and cooked sausage.
- Stuff mixture into shells, I try to get as much in as I can, and place in baking dish lined with foil with a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom.
- Cover shells with remaining marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese, additional parmesean cheese is yummy as well.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.