Recipe by Vegan Freak
This is a good, basic vegetable soup. You can enhance it with additional vegetables of your choosing. Add fresh-baked bread or muffins and a salad for a satisfying meal.
Top Review by Annacia
This is reviewed for PAC Fall 06. This is a very good soup and at only 4% fat and under 4 g's of sugar my diabetic self is very happy indeed. I used the veggie stock option and a package of frozen chopped spinach. I think that the veggie stock helped a lot to add body and depth to the flavor. Is there anything nicer than a good soup or stew simmering slowly on the stove? I did cut the garlic back to two cloves and for us that was just right and I didn't drain the beans. It all went into the pot. This is a good soup right off the stove and I expect it will be even better tomorrow at lunch. It's a keeper. Loved it.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 celery, sliced including top
- 1 potato, scrubbed and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups water or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1⁄4 cup pasta shells
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup finely chopped kale or 1 cup collard greens or 1 cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine onion, garlic, carrot, celery, potato, and parsley in a large pot. Add tomato juice, water or broth, Italian herbs, and black pepper. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Add zucchini, pasta, kidney beans, chopped greens, and basil. Cover and simmer until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes. Add extra tomato juice or water for a thinner soup.