Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A healthy and delicious recipe I found online from the New York Times. YUMMY! A short series on shell bens - their uses and benefits. Sept 21, 2009
- 680.38 g swiss chard (1 large bunch or 2 medium bunches) or 680.38 g red swiss chard (1 large bunch or 2 medium bunches)
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced in half moons across the grain
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 453.59 g cannellini beans, shell bean such as borlotti and purple runners would work as well, shelled (about 1 3/4 cups shelled)
- 453.59 g potatoes, preferably fingerlings or 453.59 g yukon gold potato, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 828.06-946.36 ml water
- 1 bouquet garni (made with a sprig each thyme and parsley or basil, a bay leaf and a Parmesan rind)
- fresh ground pepper
- 29.58 ml flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4.92-9.85 ml fresh marjoram (optional)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; Fill a bowl with ice water then stem the chard, setting aside the stems, and wash the leaves thoroughly in two changes of water.
- Wash the stems, trim away the ends and dice then set aside.
- When the pot of water comes to a boil, salt generously and add the chard leaves; Blanch for one to two minutes, until tender but still bright, and transfer to the bowl of ice water.
- Drain, squeeze out excess water and chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat and add the onion.
- Cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about two minutes, and add the diced chard stems; Cook, stirring often, for about two minutes, until the stems begin to soften, and add the garlic.
- Stir together for a minute, and add the beans, potatoes, water (just enough to cover everything) and bouquet garni.;Bring to a simmer.
- Add salt to taste. then cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes, until the beans are tender.
- Add the blanched chard, and simmer for another two to three minutes adding pepper, and then taste and adjust salt.
- Remove the bouquet garni and stir in the parsley and marjoram, then serve, passing Parmesan at the table for sprinkling.
Healthy tasty goodness. As I got the ingredients together for this I found no potatoes so I served it without and over rice. Used tricolor swiss chard fresh picked from the garden. Used veggie broth in place of the water. I did soak the beans in hot water over night. Thanks. Made for ZWT 2011