1/1 Photo of Shell Beans and Potato Ragout With Swiss Chard
Mommy Diva's Note:
A healthy and delicious recipe I found online from the New York Times. YUMMY! A short series on shell bens - their uses and benefits. Sept 21, 2009
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs swiss chard (1 large bunch or 2 medium bunches) or 1 1/2 lbs red swiss chard (1 large bunch or 2 medium bunches)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced in half moons across the grain
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb cannellini beans, shell bean such as borlotti and purple runners would work as well, shelled (about 1 3/4 cups shelled)
- 1 lb potatoes, preferably fingerlings or 1 lb yukon gold potato, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 3 1/2-4 cups water
- 1 bouquet garni (made with a sprig each thyme and parsley or basil, a bay leaf and a Parmesan rind)
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh marjoram (optional)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil; Fill a bowl with ice water then stem the chard, setting aside the stems, and wash the leaves thoroughly in two changes of water.
- 2Wash the stems, trim away the ends and dice then set aside.
- 3When the pot of water comes to a boil, salt generously and add the chard leaves; Blanch for one to two minutes, until tender but still bright, and transfer to the bowl of ice water.
- 4Drain, squeeze out excess water and chop coarsely. Set aside.
- 5Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat and add the onion.
- 6Cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about two minutes, and add the diced chard stems; Cook, stirring often, for about two minutes, until the stems begin to soften, and add the garlic.
- 7Stir together for a minute, and add the beans, potatoes, water (just enough to cover everything) and bouquet garni.;Bring to a simmer.
- 8Add salt to taste. then cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes, until the beans are tender.
- 9Add the blanched chard, and simmer for another two to three minutes adding pepper, and then taste and adjust salt.
- 10Remove the bouquet garni and stir in the parsley and marjoram, then serve, passing Parmesan at the table for sprinkling.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shell Beans and Potato Ragout With Swiss Chard
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.6
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 256.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: