Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my all-time favorite potato dishes. I tend not to like soup mix recipes, but this works, and works great. It's wonderful baked along with a roast, or chicken, reheats well, and is a great side dish to bring along with you somewhere. And it doubles and tripes (or even more) easily.
- 6 large unpeeled potatoes, cut into chunks (about 1 1/2")
- 3 large onions, halved,then cut into thin slices
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9x13" pan with non-stick vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl, toss all the ingredients well and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Then raise the heat to 375 and bake, stirring occasionally, for another 15 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender, the whole dish is a nice, dark brown, and the onions are mostly carmelized.
- Most of the liquid should be gone, and there should be just a little bit of sauciness to it.
- Not a lot.
- If you find the dish drying out too quickly while it's baking, just stir in a little extra water when needed.
- Because of the soup mix, I find I don't need any more salt, but feel free to add it if you prefer.
Thanks Charmed for a great potato recipe!!!! My DH and I enjoyed it. It had a very unique flavor.I followed the recipe, but only added garlic because we use it in almost everthing.
This potato dish is similar to one I make during barbecue season - an excellent side dish with grilled steak. I've never added fresh onion pieces as well, but will next time as I love onion. You can do this on the grill by mixing the ingredients in a bowl then placing them on heavy duty tin foil which has been sprayed with a light coating of non stick vegetable spray. Wrap the foil, sealing the edges well and heat on the grill with the cover closed for about 40 minutes, turning once. One of my favorite potato recipes, thanks for posting this version Bumblebee!
Fantastic!!! These were very tasty! I did not use as much worchestershire sauce, simply because I ran out, but they turned out GREAT! Thanks so much for a great recipe.