- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried split peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 meaty ham bone (about 1- to 1-1/2 lb.)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium carrots, pared and sliced thin
- 2 celery ribs, sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, combine water, peas, broth, ham bone, marjoram, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham bone and let cool. When you are able to handle it, cut meat off the bone and dice. Discard bone (or donate to the family dog). Add diced ham to soup pot.
- Stir in carrots, celery, and onion. Return to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes more, until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.