1/1 Photo of Sheila's Savory Pot Roast and Vegetables With Gravy
4 hrs 30 mins
This can be cooked in the oven or on the rangetop. It is even more flavorful if made a day ahead, and the fat is easier to lift off the pan juices if it's cold. I usually reheat it while making some potato pancakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 -5 lb) rump roast or 1 (4 -5 lb) chuck roast or 1 (4 -5 lb) round roast
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 medium onion, peeled and stuck with 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf (2 inches long)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, cut in 2- to 3-inch pieces (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 1 lb parsnip, cut in 2-inch pieces (3 cups)
- 1 lb white pearl onion, peeled and ends trimmed (see Note)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1Rub the roast with 3 T. flour.
- 2Heat oil in 5- to 6-quart ovenproof Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat until rippling but not smoking. Add the meat and brown on all sides.
- 3Add broth, onion with cloves, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer, or place in a preheated 300 degree oven. Cook 2 hours or until almost fork-tender.
- 4Scatter vegetables around meat. Cover and cook 1-1/2 hours longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove meat from pot.
- 5Strain juices from vegetables into a 1-quart saucepan.
- 6(Can be prepared ahead to this point. Return meat and vegetables to pot. Cover pot and saucepan and refrigerate up to 48 hours.).
- 7About 1 hour before serving, heat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk remaining 1/4 cup flour with the water until smooth.
- 8Skim and discard fat from reserved vegetable liquid in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then whisk in flour mixture. Boil 2 to 3 minutes, whisking often until gravy has thickened.
- 9Pour over meat and vegetables. Cover and cook or bake for 45 to 50 minutes until hot (meat thermometer inserted in thickest part should read 130 degrees).
- 10Remove meat to serving platter. Remove vegetables with slotted spoon and arrange around meat. Pour gravy into gravy boat and serve alongside meat and vegetables.
- 11Note: To peel onions, place in saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil, drain, chill in cold water, then slip off skins.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sheila's Savory Pot Roast and Vegetables With Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 627.4
- Calories from Fat 299
- Total Fat 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 170.1 mg
- Sodium 590.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 50.3 g