1/2 Photos of Sheila's Sauteed Soft-Shell Crabs With Lemon Butter Sauce
When my boyfriend told me soft-shell crabs was one of his favorite dishes, I knew I was in trouble. I had never made them before, so I realized I was in for a long learning process. Well, I think I have finally mastered it. As a matter of fact, when we were recently out to dinner, he ordered some soft-shell crabs and then proclaimed (with surprise) that they weren't near as good as mine! So, I will share my success with you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 soft shelled crabs, cleaned and rinsed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (I always use Sauvignon Blanc)
- 4 medium lemons, juice of
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1In Ziploc bag, add flour and Old Bay seasoning. Seal and shake to mix.
- 2In bowl, combine eggs and milk.
- 3Dredge crabs in egg mixture, then add to seasoned flour and shake to coat. Shake off excess when removing from bag.
- 4Heat 3 T. oil in large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add 3 crabs in a single layer and cook for about 3 minutes, then turn and cook for another 3 minutes. The crabs should be nice and golden brown. (Be careful when cooking, because they sometimes will pop and/or spatter.) Remove crabs to serving dish.
- 5Heat remaining 3 T. oil in pan, then add the next 3 crabs and repeat cooking instructions.
- 6Do not clean out pan when crabs are removed, but add butter. Let the butter melt and turn a little brown. Add the capers and the wine. Cook for about 1 minute, then add the lemon juice and the parsley. Cook for about 2 more minutes, or until reduced by about a third. Pour sauce over the crabs and serve.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sheila's Sauteed Soft-Shell Crabs With Lemon Butter Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 665.1
- Calories from Fat 422
- Total Fat 46.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 198.8 mg
- Sodium 485.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning