Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another recipe from my friend, Joyce. It goes well with my Oven Omelette Brunch.(q.v.)
- 2 lbs bulk sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups cracker crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly with fork or in food processor (hands are good too).
- Press lightly into greased ring mold.
- Bake at 350 degrees for app.
- 1 hour.
- Drain fat and garnish with tinned apricots if desired.
My mother had this exact recipe in her hand. I don't ever remember her serving it. Her note was that you could bake for 30 minutes to prepare ahead and the finish last 30 minutes just before serving so I think she used it for entertaining. She also had the alternative of herbed stuffing instead of cracker crumbs. I made it with panko bread crumbs and sage sausage. The parsley completely disappeared. It was good, but a little tame. I think I will try it with hot sausage next time. It can be breakfast fair or dinner, as I had it tonight.