1/3 Photos of Sheila's Best Apple Crisp (No Oats)
1 hr 30 mins
Mrs Goodall's Note:
This is the apple crisp from my childhood (there is no oatmeal in the topping). If I could only pick one dessert to make the rest of my life, this would probably be it. Mom always made this in her beautiful copper au gratin pan. I bought the same pan when I got married, just so I could make this dessert. Originally from the 1966 version of the "Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery", Mom adapted it slightly over the years (with a little help from Cooks Illustrated I think). Cutting the apples into "cubes" (instead of slices) helps the apples keep the apples firm throughout. I have made this with pecans or walnuts. I have also made it without nuts. I like it best with pecans, but all versions are yummy!! I love it warm or cold. You can serve it with ice cream, but I usually only do that for dinner parties.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut cold butter into small cubes. Place in freezer to chill further.
- 2PREPARE APPLES.
- 3Peel apples.
- 4Cut an apple into quarters. Cut out core. Cut each apple slice one more time so that there are 8 slices.
- 5Cube the apple by cutting each slice the "short" way 2 or 3 times. Apple chunks should be no smaller than 1 inch (or they will get too mushy when cooking).
- 6Cube the remaining apples.
- 7Put apples into an 8 1/2 x 12 inch au gratin casserole dish, or an equivalent baking dish (it's pretty forgiving).
- 8Pour water over apples.
- 9PREPARE TOPPING:.
- 10In the food processor put the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and flour. Pulse until combined.
- 11Remove butter from freezer and put into food processor.
- 12Pulse to blend. Topping should be smaller than peas but not as fine as cornmeal.
- 13Add 3/4 cups chopped pecans pulse too mix.
- 14Sprinkle topping over apples evenly.
- 15Cover dish with foil.
- 16Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- 18Bake for 30 more minutes.
- 19Cool before serving.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sheila's Best Apple Crisp (No Oats)
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.8
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 106.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 50.2 g
- Protein 2.2 g