Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
It's hard to say how many this serves, because it depends on what your making and how lg. the pieces being covered are, so the servings may be off. You can use this batter for just about anything you want deep fried... Cooking time is per batch that you are frying. This is my cousin Sheila's recipe that she kindly shared with me! Enjoy!
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup flour, I use Gold Medal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Add salt and pepper to flour and baking powder.
- Mix egg and milk together.
- Combine all, and mix well.
- Dip seafood in batter, and then deep fry in hot oil, at 350, until seafood is no longer opague color in the middle, and/or batter is a golden brown, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve hot.
I used this batter on fish, onion rings and jalepeno slices. I had to add extra milk snce it was just to thick at first. It coats very well and stays put. And does not go on to thick . Which is very nice. Nothing worse then a batter that falls off with frying. I just found it a little to chewy if that make sense LOL I think next time I might add beer instead of milk. Made for 1,2,3 Hit wonders
My mom invited me over to have some fried clams and onion rings. I told her I wanted to try a new recipe I saw for the batter.) We are always trying new ones to find the best one). This worked out great!!! The clams were golden brown and light and the flavor was awesome! My mom wanted the copy I had, so I pulled it up and printed it off for her, so I could have MY copy back! Jeesh, she's always trying to steal my recipes :) Thanks for sharing!