Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a lovely Lebanese/Syrian dish served with rice.
Make and share this Sheik El Mahshi (Lamb Stuffed in Aubergines Casserole) recipe from Food.com.
- 750 g baby aubergines
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
For the stuffing
- 200 g lamb mince (ground)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g pine nuts, roasted
For the sauce
- 400 ml hot water
- 75 g tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6/400F/200°C.
- Wipe clean the aubergines and leave the neck on.
- Heat some butter or oil in a frying pan and fry the aubergines until lightly browned on all sides then lift out and set aside.
- To prepare the stuffing:.
- Heat the butter in the same pan, add in the onions and fry them till brown.
- Add the minced meat, season with the spices and salt and pepper and give it a good mix.
- Fry the meat for about 10 minutes and then add in the pine nuts and remove from heat.
- Split each aubergine lengthwise from one side.
- Stuff the pockets with the meat mixture and place them in an oven proof baking dish.
- Sprinkle any remaining stuffing over the aubergines.
- To prepare the sauce, heat water in a separate pot and add in the tomato paste and bring it to a boil and season with salt and both peppers.
- Now carefully (do not want to upset the stuffing!) pour the sauce over the stuffed aubergines.
- Top each aubergine with a slice of tomato.
- Place the baking dish in the centre shelf of the pre-heated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot with rice.