I mixed a few ideas to makhttp://www.recipezaar.com/members/subm/editr2.php?sid=4664933e these cupcakes, and they went down a storm at the Findon Sheep fair in Sussex, UK. You could use what ever chocolate you can find for the head, ears and legs. I thought that they looked pretty cute with just the eyes, but you could add a red icing smile or tongue, and nostrils. You can also use a little tubes of writing icing for the white and black of the eyes.
For the cupcakes
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 175 g caster sugar
- 175 g butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons milk
- 250 g butter, softened
- 500 g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups mini marshmallows or 3 cups medium marshmallows
- 12 chocolate-covered brazil nuts
- 12 dark chocolate melts (or 12 small chocolate coins)
- 24 small chocolate chips
- 12 chocolate sticks (like Matchmakers)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius/350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Sift the flour.
- Mix all ingredients slowly, then fast, for 1 minute, until pale and creamy.
- Spoon into muffin-sized paper cases and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix first 4 ingredients and beat until pale and creamy.
- Pipe or spread a quantity of icing onto each cupcake, to cover the top, keeping back a small quantity to do the eyes.
- Place 1 chocolate-covered brazil nut onto each cupcake where you would like the head to be.
- Snap a chocolate button or coin in half and place on either side of the head as ears.
- Snap the chocolate sticks into 4 pieces and insert each piece into the cupcake where you would like the legs to be.
- Place marshmallows all over the rest of the icing.
- Place 2 blobs of icing onto each brazil nut for the eyes (Or use ready-made white icing squeezy writing tubes).
- Place a tiny chocolate chip(or a blob of black icing) onto each white eye.