Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I am told that this is a Wisconsin tradition - well it's an Okanagan tradition now too. Great when you have a gang in for a game or whatever
- 4 bratwurst sausages (Your favorite brand)
- 1 large vidalia onion, sliced into 1/4 slices (if vidalia onions are not available use any sweet onion, double the onion if
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 4 sausage hot dog buns (large Italian)
- 1 bottle lager or medium dark beer
- 3⁄4 cup sliced mushroom
- Boil the beer until it is reduced to 1/4 cup, cool.
- Mix mustard with just enough beer to give it the consistency of ketchup.
- Boil the brats for about 5 minute in water and prick in a couple of places, this will remove most of the fat Place brats in a large skillet with the onion& mushrooms medium heat, cover About 5 minuts later check and carefully turn the brats, onions and mushrooms Coat the onions and mushrooms thickly with the mustard mixture.
- Continue cooking until the onions& mushrooms are tender and the brats are browned Add more mustard sauce if you wish.
- Serve in a heated bun.
Outstanding brats Bergy!! Made these today and DH loved them (so did I)! The brats had great flavor and the onions and mushrooms were wonderful! We'll be making these again...and again. Thanks for a keeper!