Recipe by Alan Leonetti
I got this recipe from a restaurant in Baltimore, Maryland many years ago. When the chef gave it to me, he, accidentally on purpose, left out the Cream Sherry, but I knew to include it. You can purchase crab roe from Charleston Seafood. It is $18.37 for 1 lb. (frozen) (shipped overnight). You can contact them at www.charlestonseafood.com or 1-(888) 609-3474. A substitute for crab roe are the yolks of hard boiled eggs. Your guests will absolutely love this VERY EASY TO MAKE SOUP.
Top Review by mstuart727
This is fantastic and sio easy to prepare. I do think it serves 6 rather than 3 as it is rich and filling. The cream sherry MAKES it! I made it for Christmas Eve and it is now our tradition!!!
- 2 (14 ounce) cans cream of celery soup
- 2 (14 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups backfin crab or 2 cups lump crab or 2 cups imitation crabmeat
- 1⁄3 cup crab roe
- 4 egg yolks (that have been hard-boiled and pushed thru sieve are a substitute for crab roe)
- 1⁄2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 fluid ounces cream sherry
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 crab claws (optional) or 3 crab, segments (optional)
- 1 dash paprika, for color
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix both Cream of Celery and Cream of Mushroom soups in a pot.
- Add the crab meat, the claws and crab segments and slowly bring to a light boil.
- Add the cream and the rest of the ingredients, except for the paprika and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the crab roe to the soup, or if you do not have crab roe, take the hard boiled egg yolks that are sieved and add them to soup.
- Serve and lightly sprinkle paprika on top of each serving.