- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean rump steak or 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups cooled chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot add beef, tomatoes, onion, bay leaf and garlic. Cover with cold water. Simmer, covered for 2 - 3 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and add cabbage, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Can substitute sour kraut for the plain cabbage. If so, discard this step.
- Just before serving add the fresh lemon juice.