Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 40 mins
This is best served with a dollop of sour cream and side of brown Russian bread, toasted.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean rump steak or 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups cooled chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- In a large soup pot add beef, tomatoes, onion, bay leaf and garlic. Cover with cold water. Simmer, covered for 2 - 3 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and add cabbage, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Can substitute sour kraut for the plain cabbage. If so, discard this step.
- Just before serving add the fresh lemon juice.
Pretty good, but kind of bland. Added more vinegar, sugar and some spices
Delightful and hearty soup (almost a stew). Loved the vinegar-lemon juice addition. I halved the recipe; used one can of beef broth, with 1 1/2 cups of water. Perfect with some Pumpernickel bread.