Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
DH & I came up with this recipe using ingredients we had around the house. It is very easy, and a favorite with our friends. With it, we offer sour cream, minced onions, shredded cheddar, saltines, club crackers, and fritoes.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 can kidney beans or 1 can pinto beans, drained (optional)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (or 1 cup brewed coffee and reduce amount of water added by 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a dutch oven or stock pot, brown ground chuck and onion in oil.
- When it is brown, add the flour and continue to stir for 5 more minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
If you want an easy, quick, but tasty chili recipe, this one is for you. The flavor is quite good for such a fast chili. It was done just when the cornbread came out of the oven. Topped off with dollop of sour cream, this provided a satisfying meal.