Recipe by Shaye
I found this in a recipe book shortly after trying a similar version in a restaurant. Rubbing the garlic on the edge of the bread makes all the difference in the world!
Top Review by *****Sandy
Shaye -- Thank you so much for this great recipe! This was one of those rare times when I followed a recipe to the letter -- it turned out perfect. I will take a photo next time, as they were beautiful, but they tasted even better than they looked. Yum.
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, cored and diced small
- salt & pepper
- 2 basil leaves, cut into fine ribbons
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices crusty peasant bread, 3/4 inch-thick
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, salt& pepper to taste, basil and 1 1/2 T.
- of oil.
- Set aside.
- Toast the bread lightly on both sides.
- Slightly bruise the garlic clove and rub it over the perimeter of the bread, using the crusty edge of the bread to grate the garlic.
- Drizzle the bread using 1 1/2 T of olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Toss the tomato mixture to blend and spoon onto the warm bread.
- Serve immediately.