Bone Man's Note:
This salad is a FULL MEAL. Back in my Park Ranger days, this salad sustained me through some very long work shifts. The original recipe was invented in the 70s by a good friend, the late Chef George Heintzleman and, unfortunately, I doubt that this salad is still offered in it's original form in the elegant Shawnee State Park Lodge dining room --- but, as Park Manager, I made it my business that it remain on the menu at least until I retired in the late 90s! The best dressing for this salad was a commercial one called "Florentine" but I don't see this product on the store shelves. My own The Ospidillo Cafe Italian Salad Dressing is pretty close to the Florentine dressing and complements this salad quite adequately. Ranch dressing is a good second choice. This happens to be my daughter's favorite salad too and I always enjoyed making them for her. Enjoy, my friends.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped into 3/4-inch squares
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, or, red lettuce, chopped into 3/4-inch squares
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, chopped into 3/4-inch squares
- 3 roma tomatoes, quartered longways
- 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 cup crouton (home made are best!)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup honey-roasted ham, from deli, sliced medium and chopped
- 1 cup cooked turkey breast, from deli, thickly sliced and chopped
- 3 slices crisp bacon, crumbled
- 4 sweet gherkins (garnish)
- 4 banana peppers, halved and de-seeded (garnish)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 4 eggs, boiled and thinly sliced
- saltine, Waverly Wafers, and small garlic breadsticks
- 1CHOP the lettuce with a French knife if you plan to eat it soon (within 8 hours) -- if not, then tear the pieces by hand (to prevent browning).
- 2Put lettuce into a large bowl and add cabbage, carrot, red onion, mushrooms and bacon -- toss gently.
- 3Place into serving bowls and top each salad with tomatoes, ham, turkey, croutons and eggs along the side, plus the gherkin and pepper garnishes.
- 4Refrigerate or serve with the saltines and with all dressings offered "on the side.".
Browse Our Top Lettuces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shawnee Lodge Chef's Salad
Serving Size: 1 (671 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 437.5
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 436.2 mg
- Sodium 1058.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 19.0 g
- Protein 25.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cooked turkey breast