Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I worked on this recipe all last summer. In my humble opinion it is the best rhubarb coffee cake there is! Please enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups of finely chopped rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Beat brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Mix flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Add to brown sugar mixture and stir until blended.
- Stir in Rhubarb (the real trick in this recipe is to chop the rhubarb REALY fine), nuts, carrot and raisins.
- Turn into 2 greased loaf pans. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of each loaf.
- Bake at 325 F 1 hour or until done. These loaves freeze beautifully.