Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Boxty is a simple to make Irish Iirish bread made with wheat flour and potatoes. This is my cousin's recipe
- preheat oven to 375.
- Peel 4 of the potatoes and cut into even chunks.
- add to pot of boiling water and simmer 20 minutes.
- drain and cover with clean dish towel for a few minutes to absorb excess water.
- mash with butter until smooth.
- peel remaining three potatoes and grate coarsely.
- wrap in cheesecloth and squeeze out moisture.
- put grated potatoes in a large bowl with milk, half the salt, pepper, dill and caraway.
- beat in the mashed potatoes.
- stir in flour, baking powder, and remaining salt.
- mix into a smooth dough, adding a little more flour if too soft.
- knead lightly, then shape into four small, round loaves about 4 inches in diameter.
- mark each loaf with a large cross.
- bake 40 minutes until well risen and golden brown.