Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from a local hole in the wall Lebanese restaurant and tweaked it a bit. Best of both the sweet and savory worlds. As a time saver I keep a jar of this spice blend (Shawarma spice blend) on hand and just measure out 2 1/2 tsp of the combined mixture in order to make this recipe. For the frozen vegetables I use a combo of corn, peas, green beans and carrots.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 32 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Peel and quarter potatoes, boil until tender.
- while potatoes are boiling, brown ground meat until no longer pink.
- Add onion, seasonings, beef broth and worcestershire;simmer over low heat for 10 minutes or until onions are crisp tender.
- Remove meat from heat and stir in frozen vegetables. Set aside.
- Mash potatoes in bowl with butter, add milk to taste.
- Place beef & veg in 9x11 casserole dish. Top with shredded cheddar.
- Spread mashed potatoes on top. Use a fork to make peaks in the potatoes if you wish.
- Bake uncovered in 400 degree F oven until bubbling and brown. (about 40 minutes).
Great take on the standard Shepard's Pie. Doubled the meat and the spices.
Really good! I used a corn and pea mixture, and the mild sweetness of the vegetables paired perfectly with the sweet potatoes. I might use more meat next time, and leave out the cheddar. I really could not taste it all, so the cheese just added unnecessary calories. Otherwise, I loved this recipe- thanks for sharing :)
Very good twist on shepherds pie! I'd rate it five stars because it was really delicious, but that was because I doubled the spices. We like it quite spicy, and this blend of spices is excellent. Only the amount seemed not enough, so I doubled it and that was perfect. I'll make this pie again! Thanks for sharing :)
Made for Turning Over A New Leaf of the Diabetic Forum.