Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food. Preparation time does not include the 3 hours needed for the chicken breasts to marinate.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 118.29 ml onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil (a 'scant' 1/2 cup)
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 0.59 ml salt, to taste
- 0.59 ml dried thyme
- 4 pita bread, oval
- 59.16 ml garlic sauce (see Thum -- Garlic Sauce (Lebanon -- Middle East) #373997)
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 gherkins, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 29.58 ml mint, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl, combine chicken breasts with 1/2 cup of onion, lemon juice, olive oil & spices, then add the thyme before adding the salt to taste.
- Stir well & then let marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then place chicken breasts in a roasting pan & bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven & shred the chicken into slivers.
- Open oval pitas at the seam to create a large pocket, then spread a tablespoon of garlic sauce on the bottom half before filling each pits with equal amounts of sandwich ingredients (i.e. chicken, tomato, onion, gherkins, mint & parsley).
- Wrap the bottom of the 'sandwiches' with a napkin & serve immediately.
This was good; but, didn't quite remind us of the shawarma we're used to at the restaurant we go to. It wasn't bad; but, i will continue my search for the perfect shawarma.
I loved this recipe! I did serve Tzatziki instead of the garlic sauce because my children like it and I tons of cucumber in the garden. Quick and easy to do. Will make again soon!