1/2 Photos of Shawarma Djaj -- Chicken Shawarma (Lebanon -- Middle East)
Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe comes from the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food. Preparation time does not include the 3 hours needed for the chicken breasts to marinate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 118.29 ml onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil (a 'scant' 1/2 cup)
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 0.59 ml salt, to taste
- 0.59 ml dried thyme
- 4 pita bread, oval
- 59.16 ml garlic sauce (see Thum -- Garlic Sauce (Lebanon -- Middle East) #373997)
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 gherkins, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 29.58 ml mint, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1In a mixing bowl, combine chicken breasts with 1/2 cup of onion, lemon juice, olive oil & spices, then add the thyme before adding the salt to taste.
- 2Stir well & then let marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then place chicken breasts in a roasting pan & bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- 4Remove from the oven & shred the chicken into slivers.
- 5Open oval pitas at the seam to create a large pocket, then spread a tablespoon of garlic sauce on the bottom half before filling each pits with equal amounts of sandwich ingredients (i.e. chicken, tomato, onion, gherkins, mint & parsley).
- 6Wrap the bottom of the 'sandwiches' with a napkin & serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shawarma Djaj -- Chicken Shawarma (Lebanon -- Middle East)
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.6
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 34.2 mg
- Sodium 1272.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 20.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: