Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 12 hrs
Cook 15 mins
A very tasty grilled meat sandwich.
Make and share this Shawarma recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs beef or 2 lbs chicken or 2 lbs lamb, sliced very thin
- 1 cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 8 slices pita bread
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced onion
- mixed sprouts
- lettuce, sliced thin
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, pepper sauce, vinegar, onion, black and cayenne pepper, mace, and salt.
- Add meat and marinate overnight.
- (at least 12 hours-stir a few times) Grill the meat until done or broil in oven.
- Combine the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and parsley.
- Whisk well.
- Add water if needed.
- To make the sandwich slice open a pita, spread some tahini sauce on the bread and add some lettuce and sprouts, tomato, onion and meat.
- Pour on a little tzatziki and chow down.
I made this yesterday evening, believe it or not, for a surprise birthday party of a guy who turned 30! We had around 10 people come home for Shawarma and dinner. I had marinated the chicken in the marinade day before y'day(total marination time of an exact 24 hours which did it real good as I was complimented saying that it tasted excellent!). The only ingredient I didn't have at home was 'mace', so, I omitted that. I added a pinch of red food colour to the marinade(I always do this whenever making anything on the grill mode in my oven to give it that red colour appearance). I used 1 1/2 tsps. salt in the marinade mixture. I preheated my oven at 250C for 22 minutes 50 seconds and then grilled the chicken in it. It needed a little more grilling as it was still a little pink, so, I grilled for an additional 8 minutes. My house smelt like a professional tandoor joint :) The tahini dip was unfortunately not enjoyed by anyone. I served the grilled chicken with khaboos and it was gone in seconds! Some of the guys said they enjoyed pouring lemon juice on the grilled chicken and then chowing it down :)
Well, after trying to locate all the stuff needed for the recipe, I have to say it was a success since my husband complimented it and had more than one sandwhich. Thanks Diana, for the recipe and the help in putting it together and finding the stuff.
This was Wonderful!!!!!!!!I will be making this again. Michelle B.