Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This was a holiday tradition for many many years in my family. My dad's mother; Mammy first made this that I ever knew of as a kid. My mother fancied it up over the years adding maraschino cherries, coconut and at times mandarin oranges together to the base recipe. I give you the original recipe in it's original version. This is light yet rich and yummy at the same time! The marshmallows just begin to melt slightly and mix with the cream. I can remember huge bowls of this consumed after Thanksgiving dinners as a child and then always having it at holiday time year after year including now.
- 1 pint heavy cream or 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drain and reserve juice
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- Combine pineapple, a bit of it's juice; approximately 1/4 cup and marshmallows in a large bowl.
- Refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours. Overnight is the best.
- About 2-6 hours prior to serving, drain any excessive liquid though some should remain. Whip the cream and fold into marshmallow mixture.
- Refrigerate before serving. This holds up very well in the fridge for days without the cream separating. The cook time is the refrigeration time.