Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love this salad because its different, tasty, and I love the presentation which is actually very monochrome but interesting. They don't have ricotta salata at my store frequently, and I used parmesan curls made with a vegetable peeler instead.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 navel oranges, juice of
- 1⁄2 navel orange, zest of
- 1 small lemon, juice of
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 pinches salt
- fresh ground black pepper (15 to 20 grinds)
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved, fronds reserved and chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/8-inch thick slices, then cut into matchsticks
- 1⁄4 lb ricotta salata, shaved
- Combine dressing ingredients in a sealable container and shake to emulsify.
- Combine shaved fennel, some of the fronds, and apple in a mixing bowl and toss.
- Toss the salad with the dressing. Distribute between serving plates.
- Top with shaved cheese and scatter a few more chopped fennel fronds over the top.
- Serve immediately.