Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I know that brussel sprouts usually get a bad rap, but they truly are a delicious vegetable. Give this a try and it may change your outlook! They are tender, a little spicy, and slightly cheesy. All in all, a simple and flavorful side dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces Brussels sprouts (1 package)
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (more or less depending on taste)
- 1⁄8 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- 1. Cut out the core of the brussel sprouts and shave (very thinly slice) them so that they look like thin ribbons.
- 2. Saute the brussel sprouts in olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3. Season with salt and pepper and add the crushed red pepper flakes.
- 4. Add the water and continue to cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until the brussel
- sprouts are tender.
- 5. Mix in the cheese.
So yummy. This is a great way to cook the brussel sprouts. And I liked the spicyness of the red pepper flakes. Even DH liked it and usually he doesn't like brussel sprouts. Thanks Oliver & Fischer's Mommy :) Made for Alphabet tag game
I didn't notice until I was 1/2 way through cooking this recipe...the ingredients call for 1 T butter. However, I did not see butter used in the directions! I just added it before the water (which I substituted chicken broth).
First time cooking Brussel sprouts shaved(with a mandoline) and it turned out great! I used veg. broth instead of water for even more flavor. Thanks! Made for Pick a Chef(PAC) event.