Recipe by tonytigeress44
This also came from my cookbook Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow...Sharing the Taste of Time, that was published last year to benefit the local children's hospital.
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup celery top
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 lb crabmeat
- 6 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Butter a 8 cup souffle dish.
- Toast coconut in a non-stick skillet over low heat.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over low heat and add the celery, garlic, curry powder, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper - cook for 3 minutes. Stir in flour until smooth for about 1 minute. Pour in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Set aside and cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg yolks one at a time into the sauce. Stir in coconut and crab meat. In medium bowl, beat egg whites and lemon juice with a mixer until stiff, but not dry. Stir 1/4 of the whites into crab mixture. Quickly and gently fold in the remaining whites. Do not deflate the volume.
- Transfer mixture to the souffle dish and place it on a rack at the bottom of the oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden, puffed and still moist inside.