1/2 Photos of Sharp Cheddar and Scallion Spread With Hot Pepper Jam
I saw a picture of something like this in a magazine, but there wasn't a recipe. So I came up with my own version. You can use whatever brand of pepper jam/jelly you like or take the extra step and make it my way. I made it for several parties this year and it was a hit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 medium size red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) jar red pepper jelly (not hot)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1In a med size bowl, with an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and the mayonnaise until smooth and well blended. With a rubber spatula, stir in the scallions and the cheddar cheese. Line a 9" pie plate with plastic wrap leaving enough wrap hang over the edges of the plate to cover the cheese. Fill the pie plate with the cheese mixture and cover with the plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for several hours (or overnight is best) to chill.
- 2Meanwhile, seed red bell pepper and chop coarsley. In a mini food chopper or a food processor, pulse the pepper to grind (do not puree it, you still want some texture). Place the pepper in a small saucepan and add white vinegar, sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a full boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. It should become somewhat jam-like. Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes. Then stir in the jar of red pepper jelly. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate until completely cool and ready to use.
- 3After the cheese has chilled enough to become firm, remove from the plastic wrap and cover the bottom and halfway up the sides of the cheese with the chopped pecans to resemble a cheesecake crust.
- 4To serve, place the cheese on a serving plate and top with the red pepper jam. Serve with assorted crackers.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sharp Cheddar and Scallion Spread With Hot Pepper Jam
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.3
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 38.3 mg
- Sodium 213.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 5.0 g