Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I took the old Betty Crocker recipe and made some major ingredient changes. My husband said they had great taste and I think this recipe is both tastier and healthier.
- 6 cups sliced potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt
- 3 teaspoons garlic and herb seasoning
- 1⁄2-1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel potatoes and slice. Layer in lightly greased glass baking dish.
- Heat 3 Tbsp butter or margarine in saucepan over low heat until melted. Blend in flour and seasoning. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in yogurt and whipping cream. Heat to boiling for one minute, stirring constantly. Stir in onions.
- Pour mixture over potatoes. Lightly stir the mixture and potatoes together, making sure the potato mixture is spread out evenly in baking dish.
- Cover and cook in 350°F oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 60-70 minutes longer. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
I can say every thing that HokiesLady said in her review, except that I tossed my fat free plain yogurt this morning before the garbage man ran and had no more, so I ended up using fat free sour cream and it was wonderful. I will be buying me some more yogurt, when I get some place that sells it, we don't have it in my town and will use this recipe again. I also used Smart Balance Margarine rather than butter. Made for Pac Fall 2011.
Fantastic, marvelous, tasty, scrumptious...running out of adjectives to describe how much we loved this dish! Very easy to put together...I used fat free plain yogurt, standard whipping cream and added a bit of black pepper. Made for AU/NZ Recipe Swap #14 - Go Clever Cockies! =)