Ono is Hawaiian for tasty. My friend, Sharon, always takes this to potlucks at work. She also brings copies of the recipe because people always ask for it. I'm generally not a barbecue fan, but I really enjoy this recipe. It is great on buns or over rice.
- 3 lbs boneless chuck roast
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups catsup (preferably Heinz)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar (depending on taste)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- Place chuck roast into a crock pot.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Pour barbecue sauce over meat.
- Cover& cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove roast from crock pot& shred meat with two forks.
- Place shredded meat back into crock pot& stir to coat meat with sauce.
- Cook for 15 or 20 minutes with lid off on high to reduce sauce. (Lately, I have been transferring the sauce to a pot on the stove top & reducing it while I shred the meat. The other way will work, but the stove top is more efficient.).
- Note: Sharon recommends cutting back just a bit on the vinegar.